27 July 2010

Jobuggering

I can partially understand my parents' inquisitive demands to accept the counseling-related consultancy for a small private school around here. For all they know, I did graduate with a degree in psychology; general psychology for that matter. Sure, I had 100 hours of practicum for a clinical, industrial and school setting, but I don't think they'd even consider asking me if I did minor counseling sessions at all, which I didn't and there lies the problem with me accepting the offer. I would in a heartbeat if I were that determined to pursue a specialization in guidance and counseling. Then again, I'm not. And that's another problem. I don't have the small time experience, and I don't have the heart for it. So why is my simple "no" not enough to placate their nagging? I might as well submit my CV and wait for an interview so they can stop harping about it and they can see where I'm more experienced in. Apparently, not everyone's knowledgeable enough that a child/pre-adolescent's education and a school's disposition on discipline have a big factor in a guidance counselor's job description. Ask students these days what's the first thing they think about a guidance counselor and the answer will most likely generalize on a student having committed something mischievous to warrant a visit. There's the initial stigma. Then there's also the fact that problematic students' parents are often called to have a meeting with the teacher and guidance counselor. So whatever may happen in this possible consultation that they're pressing me to do, will have a butterfly effect on the dealings of the school towards their charges. Something I never gave a damn about. I'm no biggie on the human development although that is a handy tool in clinical psychology. And despite the fact that I've no love lost between me and the younger generation of the country today, I've no apparent interest too in destroying their elementary/high school experience by suggesting and making a curriculum worthy of being shredded in half a moment.

~

Discombobulated would be the best word apt for the current status of the project. Last week I went to the project manager's office, and he belatedly showed me that he actually did have the determination to read about the psychological testing two years ago when he was still into it. There's tons of books all right and at the back of my head I kept thinking why most of the books were about recruitment and selection. First, the project's name is carved as aptitude test review and redevelopment. Second, there is a separate project for procurement and selection. Therefore third, why is everybody on the team so bent on assessing the recruitment process of applicants? Are we forgetting that we are supposed to make a new test out of the blasted old one? We should not and never be concerned about the predicaments and hoopla around selection because the aptitude test we are working on is only one of the instruments for screening process.  Why then does everyone assume that the aptitude test will be responsible enough to cull applicants in determining whether these adolescents have the capability to perform and learn? In fact, it the project team even manages to produce a worthy aptitude test then even the most uneducated person in this god forsaken country will be successfully tested on his aptitude. So there really is no problem in dealing with half idiots and geniuses applying. Time is running out and so is the budget for the project. I can definitely say that the group members I have had during college performed better in dealing with project content, never mind if we don't like each other. Our grades rested on that obviously. But the team members' names and reputation also rest on the success of a new and concrete aptitude test. But as I would often remind myself, it's not like it's really my project. I'm just the mere researcher; I gather and collect data for them. I should never give a damn if the project's snowballing into a massive failure. I'm just not too sure what kind of fabrication and sweet lemoning I would endure to make the project look like a relative success when I'll be interviewed for a new job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://hairtyson.com]Phen375 375[/url] are tablets that resist reduce league weight. The same of these tabs has to be taken with drinking-water, almost 20 minutes already a collation, twice a day.