18 July 2009

Cracking no more

I came home late last night from an infuriating and energy-sapping reunion my mom and her long standing officemates held. Apparently, my godparents from the States just came back to process some papers and my mom and other set of godparents saw it fit to have a reunion and bring their offspring with them. Sure, it's good to see my godparents--I got some bucks and chocolates--but the excruciating half day of gossip from the women's side and apparently their husbands' side (since dad and my godfathers are all chums) I was left to make chitchat with another left-in-the-corner-child. I initially was dubious about joining my mom since I felt exhausted from the moment I woke up but knowing her nagging capabilities, she would've skinned me alive if I was not able to meet up my long-seen godparents; to think we're still in the middle of a tiff which generated a much longed silence in the house. I had a great time chomping on sugpo which left me itching without an anti-allergy med at hand. After much stilted conversation about first job blues we were ushered upstairs to take a nap which we both needed. She, because she just got back from her call centre work and I, because after field checking the school at Proj.4 for my civil service exam next week and being stuck in Gateway due to the damn rain, was petered out. It just so happens that before I got to the almost-dilapidated high school I was weakly accosted by a codger in the jeep who apparently wants my number and name and give it to someone he knows abroad so I can have a good life just like his kids. Oh and lest I forget, I could have an American husband (because according to him, Americans are fond of lovely Filipinas. I don't know if I should be insulted that I might look like a Pinay bimbo in my shirt and jeans or the octogenarian merely based his implications on his standard). In the vernacular, nearly-there bugaw was what had happened. It wasn't freaky as it was amusing because it's been a long time since I tried mapping out on my own and having a weird conversation or two with a stranger.

Anyway after returning to the mall, I decided to take out a meal from Burger King and decidedly checked lip balms at Beauty Bar. Curse the country for not importing Carmex now that I need it the most. Very fortunate though that I spotted a huddle of lip balms on a table which is beeswax based (the very thing I've been looking for) and half the price of the goddamn Burt's Bee lip balm which upped its price to almost 40% (so fuck them and capitalization). Good thing it's effective as Burt's Bee although it lacks the mint and the aftertaste, although not as good as BB's, is leaps better than of Chapstick.

No comments: