02 May 2010

Where joys never end

Long overdue post. I can't even recall the date I wrote this, but might as well post it because it would be a drag to dump my opinion about Shutter Island.

---

It was a good impulsive thing of me to go online early this morning when I got home because the net's down since morning. By the way, fuck you Smartbro. Same goes to you, Gateway. I swear, the mall's ticket prices will kill me one of these days. It's not like I haven't had the catastrophic experience with the mall before. It turns out my grudge wasn't demented enough to constantly remind me how much bullshit Gateway is brewing with their tacky excuse for architecture and limited number of restaurants.

Anyway, Shutter Island gained too much hoopla from my friends and the net for the past days so I got determined to see it too. And perhaps gain the same adoration they've had because it's been so long since I've seen a Scorsese film too; not bad at all that Ben Kingsley was in the film also. And not to kill amazement from the plot, but it really did not work for me. Maybe it was my overzealous analysis that Teddy was suffering from hallucinations because of withdrawal from his alcoholism, or because I had serious doubts from the first aspirin Dr. Cawley gave. It might be that I'm used to the mental asylum and generalized psychological plot it had that the ultimate mindfuck was just a climax and not so much as a gaining a surprising impact. I find the dream sequence indistinct although the idea of it being a nightmare can partially justify that. Leonardo DiCaprio's characterization was really beyond what I could ever hope for. He looked so out of his mind from his neurosis and paranoia from the first scene of the film until the end. I doubt he had a real good sleep over the burden of his character. Ben Kinglsey and Max von Sydow were perfect in their their imperious characters as psychiatrists. I'd especially love to have von Sydow as a professor, I bet that would be a highly educational immersion in insanity.

No comments: