23 February 2010

Pendulum Arc

Spoilers ahead!

Pendulum Arc has the true potential to be a Bleach rip off series. It has enough plot to last a century before Ichigo came by, and there still lies the mystery behind the last batch of captains under Gotei 13. Seriously, isn't Yama-jii suffering from enough guilt to last his geriatric days? He has managed to look on having several of his captains hollowfied, then condoning Aizen's own version of pranks in Soul Society. He's a true codger just like Dumbledore--manipulative to a fault, and simply overbearing.

Hirako Shinji's going to be one of my favourite characters for a long, long time. His suspicions over Aizen was dead on, but obviously, Superman was always one step ahead of everyone. It's damn frustrating how the Vizards were ostracized when the other captains didn't even object on their behalf. Urahara also suffers the highest degree of guilt because of his genius. Sure, he had a sour ending with Seireitei, but he dug his own grave with his research. I have to say though, the point of Urahara keeping the hougyoku on Rukia's gigai was pure bullshit plot. I think Tite Kubo could've thought of better ways for the damn orb to be stolen or for Rukia's execution, and warp it around Aizen's ultimate plan. Where in the heaven's arse did Aizen even came to that hollowfication hypothesis? I have to give him two thumbs up for the patience he has. Just in what anime can you name an antagonist who lays out his master plan in the span of more than a century? Shinji's spot on regarding his comment on how long since he has noticed Aizen. Pure love for Hirako Shinji.

Also this arc cleared up some minor questions like where Shuuhei got his 69 tattoo, how long Aizen has Tousen's fealty, where Mayuri originated and so forth. I really prefer the original bunch of characters in Gotei 13 compared to the present. Not my call though.

---

On the other side of the world, I have to say, it pains me to read Washington Square Press' version of Merchant of Venice. As fun as it may seem to have an easier way out of reading Shakespeare, WSP takes away the challenge of pondering over a genius' work. I've learned my lesson well, thank you very much. It's not as if I could brandish the damn copy at the Booksale cashier and immediately demand for a Signet version, hey? That's what NBS and other stuck up bookstores are for. But since I don't have enough moolah to buy a brand new one, I'm stuck with Booksale for future affairs.

Oh and who else other than me can see the UST between Antonio and Bassanio? Even I can see that from the very beginning. Portia's just a big, old hag although pretty decent. Anyway, still not in my place to scratch everything up. I can barely trick myself into reaching for the book again.

No comments: