27 September 2009

Or waters high

It was the exercise that I wanted that I really did not want. Obviously, if you're cohabiting with me in the same country, much more, in the same region, you would've been treated to the massive ocean Metro Manila became in a day. I was part of those stranded folks out there. Mom already discouraged me earlier that there's a typhoon and I could always re-schedule my orthodontic appointment at Roxas (QC). I insisted and the big idiot that I am wore my rubber shoes thinking that the rain would be consistently moderate. How I was fucking deluded. I woke up from my hypocritical thinking when I bought slippers and bagged my waterlogged Cortez. I was stuck at the clinic for an hour before I decided it was time to conquer the rain or something equally pathetic that by the time I got to Roosevelt the length of Quezon Avenue I can see was clean as paper. An MMDA officer told me that just past Pantranco, the flood was thigh high already. I felt faint when I really saw that. It's a pretty typical sight when you live in this moribund country but seeing it in front of me with people intrepidly walking past it was downright daunting.

After much pondering with more than half of my body already soaked, I was able to detour to Kamuning thinking that there would be enough buses still traveling to get me a ride home. Wrong. In the end I had to walk with tons of stranded people from GMA 7 to Luzon (just past Iglesia ni Cristo main); met a bunch of folks here and there sharing the same exhaustion and adrenaline rush to get home even just by walking. All of that under 5 hours. I realized that if you're under that kind of stress (soaked, exhausted, thirsty, hungry) you won't notice how much will pass by. Seriously. Beth did a great help while I was stranded so a big heatfelt thanks to her. I hope they're doing well; I think Las Pinas is still out of electricity.

No comments: